Friday, August 19, 2016

Five for Friday August 19

I am linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for Five for Friday. Thank you for hosting, Kacey! 


       
I posted all my favorite name writing activities I use in the beginning of the year. (And throughout the year...).  I hope you find some great things.  There are some great freebies from TpT in the post, too!

I made this simple little back to school journal that I use as we begin Writer's Workshop. If you would like a copy, just click on the picture below.  I did a page or two as a whole group, but then worked on some pages with small groups.  I love activities like this in the beginning of the year in small groups, because they are very non-threatening. They give me a chance to get to know my little ones better and just listen to their stories as they draw and write.
These FREE Pattern Block Cards from Erica at Confessions of a Homeschooler are FABULOUS! I'm printing them on cardstock and laminating them so they last.  My kids love working with pattern blocks, and having these cards to help practice numbers and letters will be wonderful.


 She also shared these great Alphabet Pattern Blocks Printables! Thank you, Erica!


I made this quick little activity for my class and use it early each year. It's a great way to introduce the children to  pointing to each word as they read- and to see that they, in face, CAN READ! 

First, I model the activity for the class.  I point to each word and decide where I liked to go.  I cut out the environmental print word and glue it onto my paper.  When I'm done with the "I go to" side, I point to each word as I read the page.  

                                  
Then, I turn it over and complete the "I like to" page on back.  
                                  
This is also great practice for for cutting, using a glue stick, and completing the activity independently.  

I print out the writing on one page, front and back, and then give each child a sheet of places to go and things to do.  They can choose their favorites.  When each child finishes the activity, he/she reads their paper to a friend and then to me. They also read it to someone when they get home.  The conversations about the places and activities are so much fun to listen to at the tables, too.  

Click HERE if you would like a copy!




Finally, I finished my MORE QR and Writing Prompts Packet- Author Studies!  I have been working on this forever.  It has over 100 books with writing prompts and QR codes to go along with 8 authors: Eric Carle, Donald Crews, Kevin Henkes, Laura Numeroff, Amy Krouse Rosenthal, David Shannon, Mo Willems, and Karma Wilson.  It includes cover pages for your students' author studies and a biography page for each author.

All the QR codes are also at the end of the packet to make it easier for you to print only these out for a center activity if you'd like. 

Each section has prompts with the QR codes right on them, a set of QR codes for a listening center, and a set of prompts without QR codes if you prefer those.  The preview for the listing has some you can try!



My kids LOVE to be able to take home a paper with a QR code of the story right on it, so they can listen to the story again and again at home, whenever they want. It's like magic!  

I love to use writing prompts with my students, too.  The prompts meet almost all of the CCSS in ELA.  They provide great insight into students' thinking and understanding after we read a story. They also provide great opportunities for authentic, purposeful writing.

You can choose the books you want to use for each author to make an Author Study packet (I have cover pages for that.) or just use several of the activities independently as you study an author.  They can also be used as a center activity with the QR code, as a follow up to the story. 

The packet also includes my Author Prezi.  This Prezi has links and videos to go with each of these 8 authors, so you can do whole group lessons on the Smartboard or Smart TV.  The Prezi also includes videos and links for Jan Brett, Norman Bridwell, Theodor Geisel, Robert Munsch, and Shel Silverstein.  

I also have a packet of Writing Prompts and QR Codes for over 100 OTHER favorite books (completely different books!)  that I use all year long!  These  have prompts written with both traditional and  non-American English (colour, favourite). 

These all make fabulous sub plans, too!  They are ready to go and easy to use- plus the kids love them.




I hope you found some things you can use in your classroom. Thank you for stopping by! Have a perfect weekend. 

1 comment:

  1. Carolyn,
    You have the greatest ideas! They are so well put together.
    I am going to go through a lot of ink at home making copies.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog